Personnel and Jobs

Training and Development

How much does it cost to attend training workshops?

There is no charge to attend our ongoing workshops.  There can be a charge when we deliver our training content especially for a department.  Additionally, we do charge for our Advanced Leadership for Academics and Professionals program as well as for our organizational development activities.

What is the benefit of getting certified?

The various certifications provided  by UF Training and Organizational Development confirm that you have attended workshops that, in combination, have exposed you to good management principles, UF-specific business-related practices, or other professional development goals.

What types of workshops are available?

There are numerous personal and professional development workshops sponsored by Training and Development. Our popular “Supervisory Challenge” series deals with managing employees for peak performance. The Pro3 Series is a series of workshops and information sessions designed to help those in administrative positions at UF learn the key information and develop the key skills they need to be successful.  Business application training also is provided that explains how to use the myUFL system (financial, human resources, student financial, and reporting).  General training in areas such business communication and customer care also are available. We also offer computer training on MicroSoft Excel.

How do I get information about personnel-related issues?

Human Resource Services is committed to keeping you informed. We post the latest news and important informational items on our home page. Our web site is designed to provide policy, procedures, current events, job vacancies, and necessary forms to aid you in doing your job. A monthly e-newsletter, the InfoGator, goes out to all UF employees. Contact us at with your comments or suggestions about our communication efforts.

Who may attend Training and Development’s workshops?

Human Resources’ Training and Development workshops are available to all UF faculty and staff, including OPS employees.

Do I need to be a supervisor to attend “Supervisory Challenge” workshops?

Employees who are not supervisors also may attend “Supervisory Challenge” courses of interest. Additionally, the Pro3 Series may be of interest to those employees who aren’t supervisors. The Pro3 Seriesis a series of workshops and information sessions designed to help those in administrative positions at UF learn the key information and develop the key skills they need to be successful.

How do I register to attend a workshop?

Register via myUFL—, My Self Service, Training and Development, Request Training Enrollment. You also may send an e-mail to requesting to be registered in a class or call us at (352) 392-4626.

Are there ways at the University of Florida to reward and recognize exemplary employees?

There are several programs, coordinated by Training and Development, that are designed to recognize employees with outstanding contributions: the Superior Accomplishment Awards, Davis Productivity Awards, and the Meritorious Service Award are examples of these programs and awards.

Where are these workshops held?

A lot of our training is available online via the myUFL system (, My Self Service, Training and Development, Request Training Enrollment.  Search by location “online”).  Training & Development’s professional development instructor-led workshops typically are held in room 120 at the HRS Building, located at 903 West University Avenue, and at other areas around campus. Our computer training, including myUFL training, is held in our computer lab in room 119 of the HRS Building. We also will come to you – our workshops can be tailored to meet your team’s specific needs! Contact us at 352-392-4626 or today to discuss your departmental needs.

Does attendance at these workshops count as “time worked”?

Typically, attendance at our workshops is considered part of your work assignment – or “time worked.” Supervisory approval is required to attend. For more information, visit Training & Organizational Development.

Back to Top


I am currently an active employee enrolled in the State Health Insurance Plan who is also eligible for Medicare. What should I do about health insurance?

As an active employee eligible for Medicare, your State Health Insurance plan is your primary insurance coverage. You will qualify for a Special Enrollment Period with Medicare which means you can delay enrollment in Medicare Part B without penalty.  You will still need to enroll into Medicare A.  You are eligible to enroll into Medicare Part B without penalty at the time of your retirement.  This also applies to your spouse, who may turn 65 while under your active employee state health insurance plan.  Upon your retirement, both you and your spouse will be required to enroll into Medicare B.

Due to your active employment status, you can delay enrollment in Medicare Part B and enroll into Part A by contacting the Social Security Administration.   You can reach a Medicare specialist at 1-800-633-4227 or visit  While actively employed, the state health insurance plan will pay the primary portion of your coverage and Medicare Part A will pay second. When you retire, you will enroll into Medicare Part B coverage, without penalty, by contacting the Social Security Administration at the time of your retirement.  You will be responsible to ensure Medicare A & B is set as your primary health plan at the time of your retirement.  If you decide to convert your State Health Insurance plan into retirement it will become a secondary payer to your Medicare A & B.

For information pertaining to your state health plan options while employed or retired please contact People First at 1-866-663-4735.


I will be changing from full-time to part-time in the near future. How will this change in FTE affect my retirement plan?

There will be no change in your retirement plan participation, provided there is no change in your current retirement-eligible salary plan.  FRS Pension Plan participants will continue to receive service credit for each month for which you receive a salary payment.  For FRS Investment Plan and SUSORP participants, the university will continue its contribution to your retirement plan account.  The employer and  mandated employee contribution is a legislatively approved percentage of your retirement-eligible salary each pay period.  Comprehensive information about the FRS Pension and Investment Plans is available at:  SUSORP participants should visit the Division of Retirement website for more information.

I am a new UF employee and have a choice of the Florida Retirement System (FRS) or the Optional Retirement Program (ORP). I have selected the ORP, but have not selected a company for the employer’s contribution. How soon do I need to select a company?

You are not properly enrolled in the Optional Retirement Plan until you have completed an ORP-16 designating one of the approved companies for the employer contributions, signed an application for contract with one of the approved ORP companies, and forwarded the ORP-16 to UF Retirement Services within 90 days of your appointment for processing. The ORP-16 may be faxed to (352)392-5166, or sent via campus mail to UF Retirement Services at Box 115005.

When should I begin planning for future retirement benefits?

Employees, regardless of age, should begin planning for their financial future when beginning their career. FLARE, Financial Literacy and Retirement Education, is a resource being offered to University of Florida employees to assist in financial and retirement planning needs. The goal of FLARE is to provide the information you need to make educated decisions regarding personal finances and alleviate one more stressor in your daily life.

It is more important than ever to save for retirement, and it is never too soon to start. However, we understand that there are many other matters that seem to take precedence over long-term planning. FLARE offers resources that will help you find the necessary balance between making ends meet today and planning for a comfortable future.

By narrowing down the overwhelming amount of information available and compiling it in one convenient location, we hope to help you find exactly what you need when you need it.

We encourage you  to join our FLARE ListServ.  The FLARE Listserv provides the most current information regarding financial and retirement planning needs. You can access FLARE at

May I purchase other types of service to earn retirement credit under my FRS Pension Plan?

You may be able to purchase credit under the FRS Pension Plan for other types of service, such as a leave of absence without pay and military service.  A more complete explanation of all the types of additional service for which you may purchase credit is printed in the FRS retirement guide for each class of membership.  These guides are available on the Publications page of the Division of Retirement’s (DOR) website.  You may also contact DOR at 1-888-738-2252 for more information on this topic.

I am a new UF employee who is eligible to participate in the State University System Optional Retirement Program (SUSORP). What are the enrollment steps?

The first step to enroll into the State University System Optional Retirement Program (SUSORP) requires the completion of a contract with a SUSORP Provider.  Please feel free to visit the following website for SUSORP Provider information:   State University System Optional Retirement Program Products, Fees, Returns and Company Information.

The second step of the enrollment process is the completion of the state enrollment form.  For Staff and Non-Health Center Faculty, complete the Optional Retirement Program Enrollment Form (ORP-ENROLL) .  Health Center Faculty complete the  Optional Retirement Program Mandatory Participation Form (ORP-MAND).

The final step is faxing your completed ORP-ENROLL or ORP-MAND form to 352-392-5166 for employer certification and processing.

Back to Top

Processing and Records

I recently changed my address. Do I need to complete any additional forms for the university?

Yes. You will need to complete another W-4 Form with your new address. This source of information is used to update records for a W-2 to be mailed to you at the end of each calendar year, it is used by the State Employees Group Insurance Office (DSGI) to update the health insurance records for future mailings of changes and enrollments to the insurance programs, and for any mailings of general information relative to state employees. For more information, please visit University Payroll and Tax Services’ website.

I have changed to a different banking institution, how do I change my Direct Deposit?

You will need to complete a Direct Deposit Authorization form to make a change. When making a change to your direct deposit service, your direct deposit service will stop. Please allow two pay periods while the change is being processed before the service will be implemented again.

I am an OPS employee. Are OPS employees eligible for annual across the board pay adjustments?

Salaries for OPS employees are determined by available funds for each department and are not set by the Florida Legislature each year. The department may provide an increase at any time during the year if it has the available funds. For more information, contact Classification & Compensation at 392-2477 or

Back to Top

Equity and Diversity

What is an affirmative action plan?

Pursuant to Executive Order 11246, the Affirmative Action Plan (AAP) demonstrates the University’s commitment to ensuring equal employment opportunity to applicants and employees regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or disability.  For more information visit:

How do I file a discrimination complaint?

The university encourages informal resolution of complaints.  Your immediate supervisor is available to help you resolve any work-related concerns or misunderstandings.  Should the informal resolution be unsuccessful, you may choose to initiate a formal complaint.  Please contact the Office of Institutional Equity & Diversity, 352-273-1778.

What is reasonable accommodation?

The term “reasonable accommodation” means a modification or adjustment to the job, the work environment, or the way things usually are done that enables a qualified individual with a disability to enjoy an equal employment opportunity.

Upon request, the university provides reasonable accommodations to persons with disabilities.  Under the employment provisions (Title I) of the American with Disabilities Act, or ADA, employers are required to provide “reasonable accommodation” as a means of overcoming unnecessary barriers that prevent or restrict employment opportunities for otherwise qualified individuals with disabilities.  The ADA defines a qualified individual with a disability as a person who “satisfies the requisite skill, experience, education, and other job-related requirements of the employment position such individual holds or desires and who, with or without reasonable accommodation, can perform the essential functions of such position.”  Essential functions are, by definition, those that the individual who holds the job would have to perform, with or without reasonable accommodation, in order to be considered qualified for the position.

Is the University committed to diversity?

Yes.  The University is committed to diversity.  It is essential to the fulfillment of the University of Florida’s educational, research, educational access, and service mission that its faculty, student body and campus community be broadly diverse.  Broad diversity encompasses all aspects of individuals that contribute to a robust academic, research, and campus environment including experience, perspectives, disciplines, geographic background, talent, socio-economic background, disability, ethnicity, race, gender, and other characteristics.

Is the university committed to equal employment opportunity?

Yes.  The University of Florida is committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, marital status, national origin, political opinions or affiliations, genetic information and veteran status.  The policy applies to students, academic personnel, and staff.  It also applies to the university’s relations with contractors and suppliers of goods and services as well as to the use of university facilities.

Who is responsible for reporting sexual harassment?

University policy has been established to protect all members of the campus community from sexual harassment.  As a result, the responsibility for reporting incidents of sexual harassment also must rest with all members of the university community.  Any employee, co-worker, or student who has knowledge of sexual harassment is strongly encouraged to report it promptly to the Office of Institutional Equity and Diversity at 352-273-1778.

Employees with supervisory responsibility and faculty who have knowledge of sexual harassment are required to promptly report the matter directly to the Office of Institutional Equity and Diversity, and may be disciplined for failing to do so.

What is sexual harassment?

Sexual harassment is a form of sex discrimination and a violation of state and federal laws as well as the policies and regulations of the University of Florida.  Sexual harassment may occur in a variety of situations that tend to share a commonality: the inappropriate introduction of sexual activities or comments in a situation where sex would otherwise be irrelevant.  A detailed definition of sexual harassment may be found at:

The University of Florida provides the Preventing Sexual Harassment training online.  Completion of sexual harassment training is an expectation of employment for all employees.  To get more information on the sexual harassment prevention training visit:

Does the university have a sexual harassment policy?

Yes.  The University of Florida is committed to maintaining a safe and comfortable workplace and academic environment.  The sexual harassment policy is available in the Office of Human Resource Services and its web site at  Sexual harassment of employees, students, or visitors will not be tolerated.

Back to Top

Employee Relations

How do I file a grievance or complaint?

Because the university encourages informal resolution of grievances and complaints, your immediate supervisor is available to help you resolve any work-related concerns or misunderstandings. Should this type of informal resolution be unsuccessful, you may choose to initiate a formal grievance or complaint. USPS and TEAMS employees have different procedures and various options; therefore, please contact your human resources satellite office for assistance.

Education and General/Auxiliary
903 West University Avenue
P.O. Box 115003
(352) 392-6615
392-1726 fax

Health Science Center
Room H-8
P.O. Box 100346
(352) 273-3786
392-3798 fax

903 West University Avenue
P.O. Box 115003
(352) 273-3437

Business Affairs
Room 101, Bldg. 701 (Facilities Servies)
PO Box 117700
(352) 392-2333 phone
846-2043 fax

Back to Top

Classification and Compensation

When a new employee is hired at UF, is his or her first paycheck withheld to be paid upon termination?

No paychecks are held back. However, various factors may delay the employee receiving his or her first check. For example, complete documentation may not have been submitted within payroll deadline dates or the appointment and supporting documentation might be submitted immediately after payroll closing deadline. Once  this process is completed, the employee will receive all the pay he or she has earned retroactively to the hire date. Please also note that the payday is usually the Friday of the week after the time card end date. This is not a hold back of pay, rather it is just the time it takes to process the payroll. For more information, visit University Payroll and Tax Services’ website.

Can we make reclassifications retroactive?

No. Reclassifications of USPS and TEAMS employees cannot be implemented retroactively. Classification and Compensation will notify the department when a reclassification is approved, and the notification will include the earliest allowed effective date. The department may implement the employee’s new title, along with any applicable salary increase, on the effective date communicated byClassification and Compensation, or on a convenient date soon thereafter, such as the first day of the next pay period. However, the reclassification may not be implemented retroactive to the effective date communicated by Classification and Compensation. Accordingly, it is important for departments to submit reclassification proposals in a timely manner.

Back to Top


I have individual coverage and am expecting a baby. When should I add my baby?

It is strongly encouraged for employees who are anticipating the birth or adoption of a child to contact the Benefits office as soon as possible to discuss the timing necessary to switch from individual to family coverage  Giving birth, adopting a child, or becoming a foster parent are all considered “qualifying status changes” (QSC) which allows you 31 days to add new dependents onto your plans.    Generally after 31 days the next opportunity to make changes or add new dependents is during the annual open enrollment period. If you are already past the 31 day QSC deadline, please contact University Benefits at (352) 392-2477 to discuss further options.

To add your child to your benefits, you may enroll in one of the following ways:

  • Online via the People First Website Call People First at (866) 663-4735 to add your dependent by phone

Within 60 days of your coverage effective date, you must also submit a copy of your child’s birth certificate and social security number to People First, otherwise your coverage may be subject to cancellation. When sending documentation, always include your name and People First ID number on each document to ensure that People First will have the proper identification necessary for processing your information.

After enrolling your eligible dependent, changing from individual to family coverage, call the Benefits office at 352-392-2477 regarding the coverage start date and arrangements for any premiums due.  Employees already with family coverage adding the new dependent will not see a change in their premiums.

What is open enrollment?

Held in the fall, the annual open enrollment period gives employees the opportunity to review benefit plan options and make changes for the next plan year, which is January 1 through December 31. Changes may  include: enrolling in new plans, changing existing plans, adding or removing eligible dependents, or canceling coverage. All elections made during this time take effect on January 1 of the next calendar year.  These changes will remain in effect for the entire calendar year if you pay premiums on time and you remain eligible, unless you experience a Qualifying Status Change (QSC) event that allows you to make changes before the next open enrollment period.

For more information, visit our Web Site.

How will I receive information about open enrollment?

Generally, People First mails an Open Enrollment packet to UF employees’ home addresses by mid-September. This mailing will include a state benefit summary, a People First User ID, and a state of Florida benefits guide that provides information on the following plan year changes.

Employees who do not receive a “state” benefits summary may call (866) 663-4735 to request a copy or go online to the People First web site to view and print their own.

Requests for brochures can be made online via the People First website or by calling their  Service Center at (866) 663-4735. Be sure to account for mailing time when ordering. Brochures can also be picked up from participating insurance  vendors at the Annual Benefits Fair.

If you have any questions, stop by the Human Resource Services Building at 903 West University Avenue; visit your nearest HRS satellite office; call us at (352) 392-2477; or e-mail

For more information, visit our Web Site.

Do I need to respond to open enrollment if I do not wish to make any changes?

Generally employees do not need to respond to open enrollment if a change in state benefits is not desired. However, on occasion there may be specific  plan modifications which are significant enough that require employees to actively enroll in order to have coverage for the following year. For more information, please contact University Benefits at (352) 392-5166 or visit our Web Site.

Back to Top